Man alive, was the last week hectic or what?! I really feel like I just can’t keep up. So, how did Week 5 of #HealthyAndy go? Well, I reminded myself that it’s all about balance.
I think part of my struggle has always been that if I eat unhealthily once, then I throw in the towel and think that everything is ruined so I may as well just eat terribly all the time and just accept that. However, the concept of 80-20 balance has become profound for me. Although I have read about it before, I realized that I had in all likelihood been applying the idea incorrectly to my own life.
The 80-20 rule means that 80% of your time should be spent eating healthily, and exercising. The other 20% can be used having an indulgence, or taking a break from exercising. This is all very well and good if you apply it to life in general, as opposed to a weekly basis. Because if you do that, you’ll find that you spend 20% of your week eating badly. This is not quite the right thing, and this is quite possibly exactly what I was doing. What you need to do, is apply it to your life. The 20% of bad eating, or lack of exercise, is during special times or holidays – a wedding, Christmas, or a birthday.
At the end of the day, it’s all about balance.
For example, I went ‘sky-dining’ with Ross and his family on the weekend, and I knew it would be a three-course meal, and not necessarily the ‘healthiest’ food. So, I had a late, big, healthy breakfast – an iced skinny latte, fruit, veggie juice, homemade granola and greek yoghurt – and this literally kept me full until dinner time. Knowing I hadn’t had lunch (plus, that I had exercised twice that day), I knew that I could eat the three-course meal with zero guilt. And, holy hell, am I glad I did that because dessert was a granadilla cheesecake that was basically pure condensed milk and it was like I was transported to heaven on earth. Balance.
The rest of the week went well, really. I got in three days of hardcore resistance exercise, and I also made sure to do some low-intensity exercise (walking/yoga) four times over the course of the week.
I must be honest though, I weirdly enough had intense cravings this week. I needed all the things – in particular, wine gums, licorice and smooch. I’m not sure why, because I’ve cut out all sugar for the last five weeks, so you would think that my body would be over the addiction. I guess I just didn’t realize how serious a sugar addiction can really be. I also suppose interspersing quitting sugar with condensed milk cheesecake is not ideal.
I lost 500 grams this week, which brings me to a grand total of 4.1kg. This means I’m 2kg away from the halfway mark, and I have 9.5kg more to go! That last bit sounds a bit daunting but I’m feeling great and motivated this week.
On a side note, I have given this a lot of thought and I decided that I don’t want to restrict what I eat at Christmas – in particular on Christmas Eve (which is when my family celebrates due to German tradition). I plan on eating lots of lebkuchen, and gingerbread houses, and all the delicious treats that we always have at Christmas. I am literally googling, right this second, a great recipe for a gingerbread house. If anyone has an amazing foolproof recipe, please let me know? I’m desperate!
But, I will jump straight back onto the wagon, and I’ll be sure not to stop exercising throughout the impending silly season.
By the way, you can follow me on Snapchat at andyw4ndy where I’ve been sharing my journey, too. And waking up looking skinny as hell until I eat and then I’m like 27 months pregnant.